[plug] [OT] Network naming schemes (humor)

Russell S. Albee russell at pdxn.net
Sun Aug 21 18:05:31 WST 2005

After finally deciding on a topology for my home network I started working on
what hostnames to assign to each of my machines.

I did a search on google and it returned a very useful site:

http://namingschemes.com

Its a wiki powered list of various schemes to use in naming network computers.
One of the lists I saw was "Elements".  I liked the idea of using elements as
they already have a nice two letter abbreviation assigned to each of them that
I could use [to be lazy] in conjunction with the full hostname.

I [unfortunately] have a Windows XP home machine on my network (used by family).
  As such, and sticking with the element theme, I decided to choose one of the
five most deadly elements (arsenic, antimony, lead, mercury, and thallium) as
its hostname.  As I read the characteristics of each one at
environmentalchemistry.com, I couldn't help but crack up laughing when I came
to the description of Lead.  For some reason as I started reading the
description I replaced the word "Lead" with "Windows"; it fit just so
perfectly, I new I found its new hostname!

"Windows is extremely toxic, but its effects are accumulative and most often
develop after extended exposure. Windows affects the nervous system, causing
mental retardation or other nervous disorders. It also affects other organs of
the body. People suffering from Windows poisoning may exhibit weakness, general
disability, nervous disorders and eventual death. Children are most susceptable,
partly because they have rapid motabolism and are small and partly because of
their habits. They chew on things that might contain Windows paint and play on
floors and ground that might be contaminated, often putting their fingers in
their mouth."

(original text:  http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Pb.html)

-Russell