[plug] Online music services and Linux?

simon simon at plumtek.com
Tue Aug 23 11:31:00 WST 2005

Russell Steicke (r.steicke at bom.gov.au) wrote:

> That's looking at the issue from a viewpoint coloured by the law as it
> is written ("the law says this is bad, therefore it's bad").  If,
> instead, you start from the assumption "sharing is natural and good",
> then things look very different.

Point taken, but its also true that every entity has the right to share or not
share. You cannot force your own ethics onto others.

Point being, you cant force someone to share. Taken to the extreme, your view
would imply that you would mind me dropping round at 3am and raiding your
fridge.

Law aside, the people who own the music dont want you using it in certain ways
if you buy it. Theyve asked you not to raid their fridge. You may disagree
with that ethically, but your only option if you are not willing to abide by
their terms is to not buy their goods.

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com