[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Tue Aug 23 12:39:49 WST 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:42, Rod wrote:
> maybe its just the correction back to reality (file sharing making
> recordings worthless, the pressure goes back onto your day to day
> performances, infront of real people with real money)

In economical terms, digital information is non-rivalrous and
non-excludable by nature, which would make it a public good[1]. The aim
of copyright law is to coax it into being a private good by design. How
effective this measure is depends strictly on popular adherence to the
law.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_good

--
Alex Nordstrom