[plug] Off-list copies (was: Online music services and Linux?)

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Tue Aug 23 22:20:33 WST 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:38, Timothy White wrote:
> On 8/23/05, David Godfrey <D.Godfrey at multiline.com.au> wrote:
> >  Incase the obvious has been overlooked, the same result would
> > occur if the person replying hit "reply all" instead of reply.
>
> Tried that in Gmail. Doesn't work. i.e. it still only goes to plug.

Reply to All in KMail will set the To address to plug and the CC address
to the other poster. The e-mail in question had it the other way
around. This sort of thing is really up to the implementation of the
client. I'm not sure how it's done in Pine.

I don't really care if the cause of the off-list copies are broken
clients, bad configurations, incorrect use, manual insertion of
addresses, or cosmic rays. People just need to change whatever it is.

> AFAIK Alex hasn't got a reply to set. So the CC he got, shouldn't
> have been there.

I do have a Reply-To set. As with virtually all other mailing list I'm
subscribed to, it's set to the list address. Your list software is
probably smart enough not to append another instance of the list
address if it's already there. Good for you. :)

I don't get duplicates (I believe that option is the default), but stuff
doesn't sort properly when people do silly things.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/