[plug] [OT] Soft Eng .vs. Comp Sci

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:28:03 WST 2005

> > So the concept of studying for 4-6 years in one subject and spending
> > the rest of your life in that job is very out of date...
>
> It sometimes happens. But one of the reasons why you need to enjoy the
> course you are doing. Tim, I don't know the difference between the two
> courses, or other courses that people have offered, but I suggest you
> find one you like otherwise it is just hard slog.

Well I have to agree with that. I've just dropped all my units in
Software Engineering except maths with the intention to take up
Computer Science next year. My reasons for dropping soft eng are
mainly the common first year, which is a waste of my time, and
ultimately would prevent me doing well (I'm not very good at physics
or chemistry).
>From the outlines of the 2 courses it looks like  I'd enjoy comp sci a
lot better.
I'd probably do more than just comp sci in the end, but for now that's
where I'm headed.

Tim