[plug] insurance

simon simon at plumtek.com
Fri Aug 26 09:41:30 WST 2005

Chris Caston (caston at arach.net.au) wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 09:24, Jon Miller wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that handles the IT industry?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> What insurance are you looking for?
>
> I myself am interested in taking out public liability to a maximum cost
> of $1500 per year.
>
> regards,
>
> Chris

A few years ago we were looking for insurance for public liability and
professional indemnity.

The insurance industry (at the time) was really struggling to align itself
with IT. Realistically they have no clue as to what we do and what the risks
are.

After speaking with an insurance guy, the only policy which even remotely fit
the IT industry was from Chubb Insurance (from memory). Hopefully its better
now.

One thing to remember though, is the distinction between being a contractor
(working under direction) and being a consultant (giving direction). Whereever
possible, try to declare yourself as the former. Even if you are making
decisions for another company, you can often cover yourself simply by
obtaining signoff on those decisions with the powers that be (and therefore
you are still 'working under direction').

This doesnt absolve you from needing professional indemnity, but it does
lessen your requirements for insurance and reduces the risks of being sued. If
something hits the fan, having documented proof that the client told you to do
it can be really useful :)

Some people run with only public liability and worker's comp, but you have to
be really really careful what you say and it limits your ability to make
recommendations. Ofcourse, a lot of people act as consultants without any
professional indemnity as well, but I wouldnt do it.

Caveat: IANAIG (I am not an insurance guy). Go talk to a professional.

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com
mob: 0409113359