[plug] [OT] Soft Eng .vs. Comp Sci

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 26 13:41:06 WST 2005

I do have reply to set: I tunnel to the postfix/smtp server and have
virii scanning etc set for this account.  I have had reply problems in
the past so explicitly set it so I dont have to worry.  Its a hazard of
running a laptop with multiple configs tunnelling and/or auth connecting
from multiple locations to multiple accounts.  Its amazing that its as
trouble free as it is.

Complex mobility setup is something that linux does not do too well out
of the box (i.e., gnome is a pig to do this with! - it doesnt like
hostname/network changes so you have to "fudge it").  Then you run into
networks that are wireless unencrypted, wireless/openVPN tunnelled, or
wireless/CISCO vpn tunnelled, or cable/dhcp or cable/fixed IP.  However,
once I have had time to set each combo up it works nicely, unlike my
windoze experiences.  For awhile I was trying to do this under windows,
but I dont think Ive booted that partition since last christmas, and its
gotten a lot more complex since ...

what a ramble ... should stay focused!

BillK