[plug] SAMBA on Fedora Core 4

James Drysdale drysdale at swiftdsl.com.au
Sat Aug 27 11:20:39 WST 2005

Greetings,

Well this is my first post to the PLUG forums so please excuse me as I only know the one person who invited me to the August seminar in Technology Park.

Anyway, I am running Fedora Core 4 as a home Internet gateway/fileserver.
Previously I ran Mandrake 10.0 with no prolem, however I wanted to widen my scope.

All other machines are running Windows XP Home, XP Pro, Win98 and they can PING the linux box, it appears in Network Neighborhood, even the shares appear, however when I try to enter the shares I am presented with a dialog box stating that I do not have sufficient priviledges.

This is the strange thing though........
I have three HDDs installed.
Shares which refer to directories on the system drive can be viewed from Windows.
However, the shares on the other two drives cannot.
This sounds like a file pemissions problem..... so I set all read/write permissions on the extra drives to allow "nobody". (basically no secuiry at all), yet Windows still cannot access the shares.

I have the SAMBA 3 HANDBOOK at home, I don't think SAMBA is the problem.......
But any help will be great.

One of these shares is the collective BACKUP DRIVE for all the Windows machines.
No backups can be made or accessed.

Thanks,
James.