[plug] wireless card problem

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 28 00:32:38 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 00:15 +0800, Caleb Duggan wrote:
> does anyone know howto get the netgear WG511T wireless card to connect to
> a WGT624 wireless router with 128bit WEP encryption?
>
> ive read several random pages ive found with google where it says howto
> get it to work...but none of them will work for me.......
>
> when i type "iwconfig ath0", im getting the following
>
> IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"NETGEAT"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437GHz Access Point: 00:09:5B:EE:89:8E
> Bit Rate:36Mb/s Tx-Power:50 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
> Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
> Power Management:off
> Link Quality=45/94 Signal level=-50 dBm Noise level=-96 dBm
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>
> ive tried using the graphical utility in ubuntu to put in the WEP
> key........but after putting it in, i still cant ping anything on the
> network..........i also tryed doing "iwconfig ath0 key
> XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XX"..and after doing that, im still
> unable to ping anything on the network

I don't know anything about wireless connections, but I was reading
something on the Tuxmobil page within the last hour, and someone was
saying that he had to enter his key with "-" between the quartets.
Otherwise he got no error messages, but nothing worked. If this doesn't
help - sorry. It's early on Sunday.

Also are you suppose to have 30 "digits" - for 128 bit encryption, he
said 26 ....

YMMV
HTH

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart