[plug] Video chipset on HP Pavilion N3350

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Aug 28 11:49:06 WST 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 08:57:15PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used the Morphix light live CD to detect my hardware and install my
> system on the Pavilion N3350 notebook.
>
> I believe the chipset is:
>
> Trident Cyberblase l7 AGP graphics chipset
>
> I'm using grub as the bootloader, xfce for the GUI and it looks like I'm
> still running xfree86 4.3.0 but no doubt this will change when I sync
> the system with the current sid.
>
> I get the following when booting:
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x317 noapic acpi=off
> apm=power-off vga=791 splash=silent quiet
> [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=014587d]
>
> You passed an undefined mode number.
>
> Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, ,<SPACE> to continue or
> wait 30 secs
>
> Video adapter: VESA VGA
> Mode: COLSxROWS:
>
> -Insert menu of hex and col x row listings-
>

> How can I get rid of this?

Remove both the vga=x args from the command line in
/boot/grub/menu.lst.  That will give you plain VGA 80x25 consoles.
Alternatively, for consoles with more but smaller characters, follow
the instructions and select a mode, remember its number and put that
in a vga=x arg.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Well, hey, let's just make everything into a closure, and then we'll
have our general garbage collector, installed by "use less memory".
             -- Larry Wall in <199710221744.KAA24484 at wall.org>