[plug] Grip, Ogg Vorbis 'to loud'

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 30 14:58:06 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 09:34 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> I'm getting a number of CD's that rip and the resulting ogg vorbis
> files are 'to loud' causing distortion. I've tried both with calculate
> gain adjustment on and off, and also replay gain in xmms on and off.
> It seems that they rip distorted.
> Grip is ripping them digitally so it's not a matter of changing
> volumes, and the CD's aren't scratched and grip has no problems
> ripping them.
>
> Any ideas? I'm thinking of trying them as mp3's so I can see if it's
> oggenc or grip.

I'd try ripping them and try the .wav files just to see whether it's the
ripping or the encoding.

If you have any AC/DC I'd be prepared to experiment and rip/encode them
"just to see whether they work on my system". ;-)  Then we could compare
settings ....

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart