[plug] Samba as a PDC

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Mon Dec 5 10:40:15 WST 2005

Chris Watt wrote:

>XP is SP2 and that IBM tute is the very one I followed word for word.
>
>Windows just keeps telling me that it can't find the domain server.

Hi Chris

Are you still having problems with it or have you sorted it out?

The "signorseal" hack/patch/registry settings were definitely involved
last time I did this.

Also I had one situation were nothing worked even after I checked,
patched and tweaked everything, so eventually I formatted the Windows PC
and tried again (connecting to the domain before doing ANYTHING else
with it and it went first time!!!

I have what the guys at PC-PHIX considered "the ultimate guide" for
connecting and Windows PC to a Samba based domain, but unfortunately it
is a couple of years old and I cannot locate anything but a printed copy
for some reason.  It would mean some work to re-compile it in a usable
format and send it on, but I will do if you are still stuck...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the F&R works though.  Therefore, I
would also suggest grabbing a spare hard drive, swapping it in to one of
the boxes, setting up XP, connecting it and then see if it doesn't go...

If it does, then you know that your method is solid.  If it doesn't then
you can troubleshoot this clean installation until it is done.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com