[plug] calling a script within a script

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 22:20:09 WST 2005

On 12/8/05, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 11:22 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> > Like to know how do I call a script (backup1-functions) within a script (backup1.sh).  Within the backup1-functions script there are other functions.
> >
> > Tried the following
> > . backup1-functions
> > ./backup1-functions
> > . ./backup1-functions
> > I get the same response:
> > # ./backup1.sh
> > ./backup1.sh: line 21: ./backup1-functions: No such file or directory
> > ./backup1.sh: line 24: tar_backup: command not found
> > ./backup1.sh: line 27: tar_verify: command not found
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Is it a separate script? If so, try ~/backup1-functions, or give the
> full path. Who knows, it MAY work  ;-)

Providing the path, should just work. (as in full path, or ./ as you
have tried.)
Of course, this is assuming that the script is a (ba)sh script, or is
an executable file with the correct handlers so that it can be run.
I'm not 100% sure if it needs to have the execute bit sit, if it's a
bash script but if it doesn't the source command will still work.
Straight from the bash man pages. (with minimal editing so wrap
shouldn't effect it)

source filename [arguments]
Read  and  execute  commands  from filename in the current shell
environment and return the exit status of the last command  exe‐
cuted from filename.  If filename does not contain a slash, file
names in PATH are used to find the  directory  containing  file‐
name.   The  file  searched  for in PATH need not be executable.
When bash is  not  in  posix  mode,  the  current  directory  is
searched  if no file is found in PATH.  If the sourcepath option
to the shopt builtin command is turned  off,  the  PATH  is  not
searched.   If any arguments are supplied, they become the posi‐
tional parameters when  filename  is  executed.   Otherwise  the
positional  parameters  are unchanged.  The return status is the
status of the last command exited within the  script  (0  if  no
commands  are  executed),  and false if filename is not found or
cannot be read.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956