[plug] Mail question

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 22:25:37 WST 2005

On 12/8/05, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi, I'd like a little help with weird emails I get at my account.
>
> They are not addressed to me (at least not in the "To:" line. The
> headers look as below:

Basically, the way viruses work, is they send them selves to people,
but the from address, is a random address found in someone's address
book.
Now usually, a bounce would be addressed to the person who received
it, so unless some viruses are now sending out what looks like a
bounce, I'm not sure.
Remember, it's not the To: header that determines who gets an email,
it's the SMTP recipient command, at SMTP time.
This allows you to send some weird looking emails, and is also the
basis of BCC. I'm not sure if some MTA's verify the recipient by the
To: header, but I doubt many would.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. it's late at night, I'm taking
a stab in the dark, I should be catching up on sleep, and need to be
on the water by 6am.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956