[plug] nothing but a brown screen and mouse cursor after GDM login?

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:24:21 WST 2005

Hello...

You might also want to check out "~/.xsession" of the relevant user. I
usually customise mine to do some other stuff, and if you've put a
command in there that doesn't background, it can hang X waiting for a
condition to quit.

(eg. Mine usually reads:

/usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager
/usr/bin/xfwm4 --daemon
/usr/bin/xftaskbar4 &
/usr/bin/xfdesktop &
xscreensaver -no-splash &
gaim &
exec /usr/bin/xfce4-panel

Note that programs that exit immediately are not backgrounded (we want
them to finish before proceeding, but they don't hold anything up),
whilst those that should continue to run are backgrounded (eg, gaim).
Also note that the last one here is xfce4-panel, which is NOT
backgrounded - ie, when the panel quits, log out).

Note that GDM can use a system xsession file (somewhere in /etc/gdm or
/etc/X11, depending on system/distribution), or the users own instead
if it exists - thus the "~/.xsession". If you can create another user
and log in with that, then this might well be the issue.

(Yet another useless bit of information: there are a number of
xsession files that GDM chooses from, depending on what you want. In
Debian, as you install desktop environments it puts another default
system-wide xsession in /etc - then you can select what desktop you
want from the menus in GDM).

Anyway, hope this might be of use to you.

Daniel.