[plug] Samba as a PDC

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Dec 12 10:18:09 WST 2005

I've been watching this thread for awhile and I'm not sure if you mentioned your settings in the smb.conf set correctly as a PDC?
Also do you have any other Windows systems in the network besides the XP PC (how many XP's or windows systems do you have on the network).  Reason I ask is because during the initialisation phase I remember the there is a domain election, but it's a negotiation between system (windows) that determines who will be the PDC.  It's based on a eection number , if your XP are higer than the samba server then your network would  think that a XP is a PDC.
Try the following change the election number in the smb.conf higher than 32 as the default XP election is 16.

Jon

>>> something.rotten at gmail.com 1:47:38 pm 9/12/2005 >>>
I can access the server by going \\server from windows no problem but
I just cant get the domain control to work yet.

I have been struggling to find good docs, if you know of any, let me know!!

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au