[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:03:16 WST 2005

On 12/13/05, Rennie <rennie.barnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/12/05, Senectus . <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000390.html
> >
> > If this manages to hit sights like slashdot etc you can bet your
> > bottom dollar it'll make good flame bait.
> > Personally I think he's half right, but I seriously disagree that
> > "Gnome is going to make people dumb" concept.
> >

> Personally I think he's quite right. I don't believe functionality
> should be sacrificed for the sake of making things 'simple'.
>
> Software and it's interface can have lots of functionality and not be
> confusing to interact with if it's well designed. The functionality
> with be clear and coherent - allowing the user to do as they wish
>
> After recently using Mac for the first time in 10 years I feel that it
> too is too far down the remove-stuff-to-make-it-simple route (just a
> bit), although it does have some very nice features... and what's with
> the double-click? Not very clear or logical if you ask me.

Oh I agree with that bit, but I think that all that extra
functionality should be temporary hidden in a side menu that is
labeled "advanced" or similar (you get the idea).
extra functionality should not be the first thing a user See's, they
should have to click  _a_ single button for an extra functionality
menu to pop out.

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through