[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-)

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Thu Dec 15 05:36:34 WST 2005

On 14/12/2005 at 1:31 PM Bernd Felsche wrote:

>"simon" <simon at chrome64.org> writes:
>>Bernd Felsche (bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au) wrote:
>
>>> 2) Installing stuff that'll never be needed could be avoided if
>>>    there were sufficient hooks to install on demand by application
>>>    or even type of file. Users should not be expected to know which
>>>    application is required; they should need only point to a file
>>>    to open and the system should suggest a few options.
>
>>Nice idea. Do you know of any projects along these lines, perhaps
>>wrapping around urpmi/apt-get/whatever?
>
>I don't know of any projects o do that. They'd need to integrate
>with the desktop environment and file browsers for "normal" users.
>As per the "Open with..." menu option.

This assumes the program is already installed AKA M$ style. Not an
original way of doing things, not to say it is not a good thing to have.
You are now going down the path of file extensions that are recognized
as belonging to one particular application. You now have to get all distro
development teams to agree on a standard set of extensions and get them
to use them. What then becomes of existing or non compliant programs?

Is this the path Linux wants/needs to take?

I think a lightweight install for average users would be a better option
for ALL
Linux distros. If you look at the types of  programs or services that most
users
of computers actually use, the number is quite small. Those programs nicely
integrated in a desktop environment would be what most people are looking
for.

So what services do MOST people use on a regular basis.

Web browser
Anti-virus
Email client
Office suite
CD/DVD burner
MP3 Player/recorder
Video Player
Chat program
ICQ
..... from what I can remember.

Someone has already done this exercise, but I can't find the reference I
had.

Without getting into which programs are better than others, the process
would
be to get an install suite together and make sure all services work with
that
bistro and most important of all, make sure the distro works on reboot.

As part of the install process, it would be a good idea to ask some basic
hardware questions before the install progresses. If probing cannot provide
the
information, then assume a minimal install footprint - generic drivers - to
get the
install working. Notify the user of the fact that a minimal install has
taken place
and allow them to make the next step. (Point the user to a help file or web
site
to assist them, after all the distro works after it reboots and has a
network or
modem connection in a working condition that will allow connection to the
internet
to continue the installation process.)

Having a working system is going a long way to winning over M$ users to
Linux.
The other problem that is causing install problems is distro releases on
DVD. To
assume that everyone has a DVD drive is putting yet another obstacle in the
way.

There are some very good live CD distros around, some loading off a 200 meg
mini
cd that can show the way. I'm sure you can get a very good integrated
desktop
environment on a 700-800 meg CD. That used to happen, so it can happen
again.
The other 4-8 gigs can be supplied on a companion disk or a package by
package
basis from the internet.

Ooops, I forgot the basic human behaviour of gravitating to the complex
because that
is the way the human mind is weighted. If it is overly simple then it
cannot possibly
work as well as something that is very complex and HARD to get working.

I think the developers need a shift in mindset to deal with this, not
something I would
expect from these type of people and I'm not being disrespectful either,
they just have
difficulty with simple concepts. You can always live in hope, I do!

My 2c's worth ...