[plug] 2 ADSL Connections

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Thu Dec 15 11:01:35 WST 2005

I've done this almost to the page specifications:
ip rule add from 203.63.58.xxx lookup 1
ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 via 192.168.1.1 table 1
ip route add 0/0 via 203.63.58.129 dev ppp0 table 1

ip rule add from 203.63.58.xxx lookup 2
ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 via 192.168.1.1 table 2
ip route add 0/0 via 203.63.58.129 dev ppp1 table 2

ip route add default equalize
     nexthop via 203.63.58.129 dev ppp0
     nexthop via 203.63.58.129 dev ppp1

Which works flawlessly from the router box, still "crude"ly shared, but
the load is balanced for different sites, none the less.  However
NAT/MASQUERADE is now broken, for computers behind my 192.168.1.0
network.  Whenever I try to access something from behind the router, I
get:

MASQUERADE: route sent us somewhere else (Printed both to the console,
and to syslog on the gateway/router machine)

>From my understanding of this, it could be because both ppp links have
the same gateway.  Am I going about this the wrong way?

Maybe I should (Like suggested on the web page), let the modems do the
pppoe login, assign them an IP (10.1.1.1), and then give the network
card an IP (10.1.1.5), and use these as the gateways.

It's just a matter of getting back down on site and trialling it, I
guess.  I do like to have control over the modem's though (put them in
bridge mode), and have the router do the login/authentication for the
ppp link.

I do recall reading on a site that multiple routes can kill MASQUERADING
with 2.4 kernels, I just can't remember where, or if its actually
related to this problem or not.

Anybody done something similar in the past?

Shannon Carver