[plug] browser stats anyone?

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Dec 15 18:00:00 WST 2005

On 15 Dec 2005 at 15:26, Denis Brown wrote:

> Dear PLUG list members,
>
> Really an Open Source question but someone will have the good oil...
>
> Open source browser usage figures, versus IE?   I have a "manager" type
> who has just gone into print stating that 95%of the world uses IE.
>
> I have some difficulty with that figure :-)
>
> Anyone?
> Denis

I too have difficulty accepting that figure.

How would you separate geniune IE users from those users who use Firefox
which has the 'User agent switcher' extension installed so they can get
their Firefox browser to pretend that it is IE.

It is my contention that the majority of those (95%) IE users either
don't know about Firefox or do not know how to get hold of (or install) a
copy of Firefox.

In many cases they may not be allowed to install it because of policies
which may be in force at their location.

Regards Arie