[plug] cross platform XML based GUI layout engines?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 15 20:45:11 WST 2005

Not quite xml, but something like gtkdialog sounds like its what you are
after.  There are a number of such utilities - greq is another very
simple one for use in shell scripts.  Some examples for gtkdialog can be
very fancy.

If it must be XML, write a converter - wouldnt be too hard.

I currently use gtkdialog for simple list and select dialogs for network
selection from a laptops screen icon and the like.  Quite usefull
really.

BillK

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 20:29 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> On 12/15/05, simon <simon at chrome64.org> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I think Ive asked this before, but....
> >
> > Does anyone know of any OS technologies designed to allow the description and
> > rendering of a GUI?
> >
> > I know of XUL, but you're stuck rendering it in Mozilla. xGUItar is
> > proprietary, and XUIL (from memory) has proprietary renderers...
>
> XUL doesn't stick you in Mozilla. You run a XUL application as a stand
> along. (Mozilla is a stand along XUL application, that can also run
> XUL applications.)
>
> I can't remember the exact way of doing it, but I'm sure there would
> be away to compile binaries for it as well.
>
> Tim
> --
> Linux Counter user #273956
Home!