[plug] RAID on a gigabyte 7N400p2 MoBo

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Dec 17 02:26:21 WST 2005

Jonathan Young wrote:
> I have to say that I have personally always preferred hardware when it
> comes to RAID, but have never used onboard.  I prefer a standalone
> controller with a separate BIOS onboard and that has never given me any
> trouble.  In my experience RAID has only been a headache when either a
> software solution or a cheaply produced motherboard integrated
> controller have been used.

Ok, let's just get one thing straight please.. onboard RAID is *not* hardware raid. It's a cheesy
controller with a BIOS that *emulates* raid.. just like 80% of the "hardware" RAID cards on the
market these days (/me waves at highpoint).

If you must share an array with Windows and Linux on the same box, then RAID-1 or RAID-0 using the
onboard or an addon card (any SIL 3112 or similar) will do the job, just please remember it's not
hardware raid..

Hardware raid has a separate microprocessor that does all the raid offloading, costs a lot
(generally) and performs nearly as well as Linux software raid in most consumer style applications.

Please see this link for further clarification.
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html

Regards,
Brad