[plug] Sound hardware

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Mon Dec 19 19:16:34 WST 2005

Senectus . wrote:

>On 12/19/05, Tomasz Grzegurzko <tomasz_g at arach.net.au> wrote:
>

>>I had an interrupt problem like this once. A
>># cat /proc/interrupts
>>made it quite obvious to me. Something similar may be revealing for you
>>also...
>>

>great idea, except I don't get past post... or even _to_ post.. it's a
>hard lock before it gets to count ram.

Heh.  I kept thinking that when reading the replies!  They are all good
ideas, but you can't run things if you can't POST!!

On the other hand, perhaps you could take stock of your resources with
the AC97 in use, with it disabled and then check out the predicted /
likely resources the SBLive! will require when installed to see if
trouble is to be expected?

Also, and this won't be necessarily the most useful idea either, get
another SBLive! to try.  You say it works on other PCs which implies the
fault is your PC in some way and not the card, but I have seen
particular add-on cards refuse to work with particular mainboards for no
good reason when working correctly in 4 or 5 other similar yet different
PCs.

Same chipset, same revision, same FCC ID... but this network card
belongs to this mainboard and this network card belongs to this
mainboard and that's just how it is and we don't know why!  The
mainboards themselves were different of course, but best as we could
tell, no single piece of hardware was at fault.  Meaning that if you
find an SBLive! that does work with your PC and your SBLive! works OK in
the computer you flogged it from... swap them permanently.  Sounds
weird, but it HAS been done before.

Nothing else to suggest at this stage, since most of the helpful pagan
rituals are considered in bad taste this close to Christmas.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com