[plug] David's ADSL Problem

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Fri Dec 23 08:36:30 WST 2005

David wrote:

> Jonathan Young wrote:
>
>> While trying to help David, Jonathan wrote:
>>
>>> So your ADSL modem is connecting, but you are using your dial-up
>>> connection to do your work, true?
>>
> YES that is true.
>
>>> Does that mean that Internet and email are working properly, in
>>> Linux, on the same machine that you now want to connect to your ADSL
>>> modem?   Does that mean that Internet and email are working
>>> properly, on the dial-up connection only?
>>
> it does not work on the ADSL modem at all.
>
>>> If so, all we need to do is get your computer to network to the
>>> modem and request information from your modem.  Nothing else should
>>> have to change.  Once you are connected email will work just like it
>>> does on the dial-up connection.
>>
> but it dose not

But it will.  What you are describing, I think, is that your computer is
not connecting (networking) with your ADSL modem.  When it does,
Internet (including Email) will 'just work' without changing anything else.

>>> So the next thing I would like to know is, how is your modem
>>> connected - USB or Ethernet (CAT5 / blue network cable)?
>>
> Ethernet (CAT5 / blue network cable)

Great.  This should be easier that USB would have been.

>>> I may have some time on Friday to answer a few questions, but if
>>> not, it will be next Tuesday before I am back online.
>>
> ok i am here the morning ok./

Well, I am online too for about another 20 minutes.  I will need the
help of some other PLUG people to do this though as Debian Sarge is not
/that/ familiar to me and I have no Linux based PCs here at the moment
to work through it.

>> I am waiting for some answers from David to try to work out exactly
>> what is an isn't working and therefore what needs to be fixed, but I
>> have my suspicions...
>>
>> Therefore:
>>
>>> TO THE REST OF THE PLUG LIST:  Supposing that a modem is working and
>>> connected and attached to you Debian Sarge based PC via Ethernet,
>>> what would be the steps (1, 2, 3, 4 etc.) that you would do in an X
>>> Windows session to tell your computer to use 192.168.1.1 as the
>>> Default Gateway with transparent proxy and DNS from the modem and to
>>> ignore your dial-up connection and use the Ethernet instead.
>>
>> Can some people who are more familiar with this OS than I am please
>> post some really simple steps to help make the changes required.

This is the bit that I will still need help with from the rest of the
PLUG list... anyone?

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX