[plug] suse kernel upgrade

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 23 16:06:27 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 15:39 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> I've installed SUSE Enterprise Server 9, and would like to put on the
> latest kernel on, I believe the latest version for 2.6 is 2.6.14.4
> whereas the version on the server is 2.6.5-7.97-smp.  My question s
> should this be done via the distro app which probably not get me up to
> the latest version of can I do it manually by d/l the latest stable
> version.
>

> Thanks

Just one question - Why?

SLES (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) is one of those products like RHEL
or Debian Stable. It is not meant to be "contaminated" by the latest and
possibly buggiest packages available. The theory is that you run a set
of packages which are only patched for security holes, not for features.

If problems are found and fixes are introduced into newer kernels, the
fixes will be backported into your kernel version. Which may require you
to have a SUSE support account.

If you want the latest, I suggest you move to SUSE 10.0

You can download and recompile a new kernel - I just question whether
it's a good idea - since you're now going to have to keep an eye on the
kernel mailing list for problems, and actively patch them ....

It's up to you - I just question the rationale of installing SLES and
then wanting the latest kernel whizzbangs ...

[OT] Merry Christmas to all
There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629