[plug] Senectus in the news

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 16:56:00 WST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:13:40 +0800, Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 February 2005 16:01, Senectus . wrote:
> > Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:
> >>     http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/30845/
>
> > *panics*

Off topic - Outlook express uses mbox format, but the files are hidden
pretty deeply in a hidden folder, so it _should_ be a matter of
pointing them to the correct files - I've only done this once with a
small amount of mail so YMMV.

I've moved a tonne of email from Outlook and OE to
evolution/thunderbird, the solution I've come up with is an IMAP
server on my laptop. I simply fire up the service on my laptop, create
an account in OE/Outlook and move the mail to the server, then reverse
the process in the new linux installation.

This is overkill for a one off transfer, but I figured it was
guaranteed to work - (Microsoft doesnt release an IMAP server, so I
figured Outlook and OE would talk sanely to it) At the time I couldn't
find a free email provider that supported IMAP(S) so setting my own up
seemed like a good idea. Anyone know of a service like this? (I'm
still hoping gmail enables it...)

The other simpler option is the old Netscape importer under Windows -
that does import OE mail sucessfully, and Thunderbird can import
Netscape mail without issue.

I didn't see the solutions posted to moving IE favorites, but 1.0
Firefox under windows will ask you if you want to import IE favorites
the first time its kicked off, so that should be an easy migration.

FWIW -  set my non-computer literate brother up with Fedora 2 running
KDE 12 months ago,  and the only support call i've had since turned
out to be a dying hard drive.

Hope that helps.

Carl G