[plug] ubuntu

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 21:44:08 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 21:22 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> The root password is not enabled in a default ubuntu install.
> Your asked to use sudo (which I'm getting used to using), and when it
> asks for the password, you use your normal user password.
>
> if like me you really feel lonely without the other account around you
> can drop to a shell and do the following:
> sudo passwd root
> (enter in the normal user password)
> Then it will ask for what you want to make the root password...
>
> easy..

If on the other hand you are happy with the security of your workstation
while you are logged in and you don't want to keep typing in your
password when you use sudo then see 'man sudoers' for details on how you
can configure sudo.

For example something like this in the sudoers file (which you edit
using visudo, not vi please) will allow mark to execute any command as
root with no password:
mark    ALL=NOPASSWD:ALL

--
Mark O'Shea