[plug] Evolution 2 .0 data migration of vfolders

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Feb 4 10:05:33 WST 2005

Howdy,

Just letting people know this incase they come up against it.

Installed Evolution 2.0.3 from debian testing.  Upgrading from 1.4.6.
It has a migration wizard that comes up on the first run which rejigs
everything and puts the new data in ~/.evolution

The process got through all the folders, then crashed.  Opened it again,
went through all the folders again (telling it to overwrite everything
as it has detected all the previouly converted folders as well) then it
crashed again.

Open again, instant crash. etc.

I ran strace and saw this:

open("/home/ryan/.evolution/mail/vfolder/linux-sony at insue.com mailing
list.cmeta", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---

That vfolder is the first vfolder of about 5 I have setup.  I looked in
that folder and it was indeed not there.   The Evolution migration
either can not handle vfolders, or my setup was corrupt in the first
place - unlikley as the vfolders used to work in 1.4.6.

So I deleted  ~/.evolution/mail/vfolders.xml

Evolution starts nicely, time to recreate your vfolders :)

Ryan