[plug] Iptables Help - UDP

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Feb 4 14:32:02 WST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:07:52AM +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> My dad is trying to connect to the Alcoa VPN over an NATed Optus Dialup.
> As far as I know it uses UDP and he tried too 2 different gateways.
> Unfortunately it appears that the firewall (iptables) dropped the
> packets. The following is my iptables config[2] with the appropriate
> kernel/iptables log/drop messages[1].
>
> I hope somebody can help me get this working.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim
>
> [1] (Please do not abuse the destination IP address
> Feb  4 10:00:17 edo kernel: fp=UDP:2 a=DROP IN=eth0 OUT=ppp0
> SRC=192.168.0.48 DST=203.38.101.24 LEN=850 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=127
> ID=293 PROTO=UDP SPT=500 DPT=500 LEN=830

Without reading through all your iptables rules, I guess that you'd
need (at least) a rule like this:

  iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --dport 500 -j ACCEPT

You could add this rule manually to see if it works, then save your
rules however you'd normally do it.  With debian, it used to be

  /etc/init.d/iptables save_active

but I believe the newer iptables packages have the init.d script
removed.

And if you're doing IPSEC, you'll need to route some selection of
these protocols: GRE (47), ESP (50) and AH (51).  netfilter.org should
have some documentation on this.  It's been a while since I looked
briefly at IPSEC, so the details are a bit rusty, sorry.  But ISTR
that the endpoint had to be your router, not a machine on your
network.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Day of inquiry.  You will be subpoenaed.