[plug] With a White Flag

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Feb 4 22:11:58 WST 2005

My reasons for resigning form PLUG are based on three factors :

1 - The question - "What has PLUG got, to offer me ?"
2 - The question - "What do I have, to offer PLUG ?"
3 - My inability to rationalise the middle ground between 1 & 2.

The timing was brought about purely by circumstance, the conflict on the list and personal issues
combined to form the trigger.

I have not turned my back on PLUG or Linux or it the people at PLUG.

Answers to the questions :

1 - People.
2 - Me.
3 - ?

To aim anger at Debian users is not appropriate, in my eyes all flavours of Linux are equal - the
differences are purely cosmetic.

To me, computing is like a craft practised by artisans, the higher the craftsmanship the better the
better the tools need to be. To learn a craft you must become an apprentice who learns from a
master, you must respect his craft and his craftmanship. To teach a craft you must be a master, you
must be tolerant, humble and compassionate.

Most highly experienced users of Linux, have developed their skills over a long period of time,
many, many long hours interfacing with a computer screen and keyboard, hours of application,
dedication and perseverance. Sadly they often pay a price for this - they often lose some of the
skills needed to interface with people, especially newcomers, but it's not their fault.

The problem is based on language and communication - the newcomer often does not know the language
and cannot communicate effectively. The frustration of one becomes the frustration of the other.

I have often wondered what it would take for me to correctly interface with and advanced Linux
user, maybe if I had a face like a blank screen with a command prompt in the middle of it, and a
keyboard for a body, an arm full of protocols and a pocket full of syntax.

But hey it's not that simple.

I just have the blank screen for a face displaying the error message -  "does not compute".

If operating systems were like formula one racing cars spread across a spectrum, we would have
racing car drivers at one end and mechanics at the other. The winner of the Grand Prix would be the
TEAM that has the best interaction between between mechanics and drivers.

A checkered flag goes to the winning team.

I want that team to be PLUG.

Sincerely Arie.