[plug] IMAP access to Evolution data stores

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sat Feb 5 10:41:43 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 13:50 +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> > When I'm at work I want to set up an SSH tunnel to this home machine and
> > access the Evolution data stores via IMAP - using Evolution on the work
> > machine.  This is to look at _old_ emails, I've already got solutions to
> > deliver the new ones to both places.
<snip>
> For my own mail, I use mutt locally with a store of Maildir mailboxes,
> and the imap server accesses the same Maildirs.  I get local and
> remote access without locking issues.
>
> As for as which imap server to use, I'm using courier's imapd and it
> seems to work fine.  Also, dovecot has a good reputation.

Thanks,

I eventually got around to trying some things out.  I settled with
courier-imapd and was a little shocked when it 'just worked' as I've had
very bad experiences getting it up and running in the distant past.  I
tried dovecot also but it was not able to support sub-folders to the
level I needed.

The IMAP server is on the same host, so due to the Evolution caching my
storage needs have almost doubled.  It's lucky the Debian upgrade failed
miserably and I started from scratch on a new and larger hard drive :)

Ryan