[plug] Newcomers' welcome (revised)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 5 15:14:00 WST 2005

Hi everyone,

Here is the second public draft of a newcomers' "welcome message".
This would be sent automatically to each new subscriber when he
or she joins the list. I welcome your revisions, and you should
probably post them to the list so that others can gauge their
feelings. When providing amendments to the message, please be
sure to quote clearly (or "bottom-post") to make it practical for
us to merge your suggestions.

Welcome to the discussion list of the Perth Linux Users' Group
(Australia). If you are new to this community, we recommend you
read the remainder of this e-mail which has been prepared for your
benefit. Once you have read this message, you can immediately send
your own queries by e-mail to
	plug at plug.linux.org.au
For additional information about the list, including ways to
find answers to questions that have already been asked, visit
	http://www.plug.linux.org.au/resources/mailing-list

If you are new to Linux and are asking a question for the first
time, you may wish to introduce yourself and indicate your level
of (or lack of) familiarity with Linux-based computing. Your
question will be read by anyone else who is currently reading the
list, and it is likely that someone will respond with an answer.
However, please keep in mind that it's "luck of the draw" who will
read and respond to your message. It is also important for you to
"help us to help you" and that you write for the benefit of being
read.

To improve our ability to help you, there are several guidelines
for this list. These are all quite common compared with other
lists, but could seem daunting if you have not subscribed before.
We do not mind if you "break a few rules" when you are new, but
please don't be offended if you are asked to try to comply. Also,
please do not be offended if you don't receive a prompt reply to
every question: some subscribers only read their e-mail during
evenings or weekends and cannot read or respond to every message.

The following guidelines can also be viewed and bookmarked at
our website if you wish to delete this e-mail:

Last revised February 2005.

1/ If you have a question, try to provide us with information
(take a guess!) so that we know what sort of computer you have
and what you have already attempted (if anything). Remember, we
are "strangers" and we can't guess what will be compatible with
your computer if you don't tell us what you already have. Also,
we *do* need to know if you have already had specific trouble.
In particular, let us know about any "errors message" you have
received.

	For example: if you wanted to know "how to use your CD
	burner", you need to let us know a few salient details. You
	might say "someone installed Mandrake 10 on my computer and
	I have a Sony disc burner, model ABC-123. I think I'm using
	GNOME but I don't know what the CD software is called". We
	would not need know other details like your graphics rating
	or screen size.

2/ If you have had your computer at a PLUG workshop or have been
referred via some other organisation (e.g. Computer Angels), it
is probably worth mentioning it.

3/ If you are writing a new e-mail (and not replying to an old
one), compose a fresh e-mail with a helpful "Subject". This is
so that people can see the new topic and not confuse it with
other messages. Do not use "Reply" if you are starting a new
topic: this could cause your message to get "linked"
automatically to unrelated messages.

4/ Always write for the benefit of being read. Try to be
considerate by writing good sentences with correct spelling so
that people can search your message for keywords. Remember that
e-mail is sometimes tricky to understand and it is not the same
as talking face-to-face.

5/ If you are replying to someone's post, please take care. If
you answer has lasting communal value, please send it to the list
(rather than directly to the other sender). This is what normally
happens when you reply to this list: so be careful if you are
typing something of a personal nature! Also, you should clearly
indicate which part of a message you are replying to. Try to
"quote" carefully by trimming out irrelevant paragraphs and
writing your response directly below the context of the original
message.

6/ If you make use of the advice received on this list, reply
to it and tell us whether it worked or didn't work. This helps
anyone else who has the problem in future.

7/ If you are providing an answer to someone else's question, try
to indicate whether you "know" you are right, or whether you are
just guessing. It is okay to guess, and we do not discourage
tentative suggestions, but be sure they are labelled that way.
Do not send a reply merely for its own sake.

8/ Many questions have been asked in the past, or might be beyond
our local experience. The Internet has many resources available,
and it is often wise to do some "pre-reading" by searching the
PLUG archives or the world-wide-web in general.

9/ If you know how, please avoid sending HTML ("rich text")
messages to the list (use plain text instead). Do not send
graphical attachments or software! If you are having difficulty
on the command-line, try to copy-and-paste the relevant details
into your post. If you have "log files", you may wish to attach
*short and relevant excerpts* to your e-mail. (If you try to
copy-and-paste large amounts of text, the lines get broken up
and we have to ask you to re-send.)

10/ The PLUG list is made up of people ranging from beginners to
professional experts. Some are very new to the list while others
have been here for years. This diversity can sometimes seem
intimidating, but there are usually other people who come from
the same perspective as yourself. Nevertheless, remember that
most replies are "getting down to business" and may be brief
in their opinions -- this should not be mistaken as a personal
insult.

11/ As a service to ourselves and future Linux users, all the
list's messages are archived publicly. A consequence of this is
that our resources, including all the comments that you write
yourself, can potentially be found and read by anyone else using
the Internet.

12/ If you experience technical difficulties with the list (e.g.
you can't see your own messages or can't receive other people's
replies), you can check the web-based archives or e-mail the list
administrators for technical validation of the list. Addresses
for the list, the list administrators, the web archives, and the
PLUG committee and shown at the bottom of each message you receive
via the list.