[plug] rmdir problems

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 22:02:44 WST 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:45:26 +0800, Jim Householder
<nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
> > Joong: if you want to delete the directory and don't want to look
> > for 'hidden' files, use `rm` instead of `rmdir`. It's like this:
> >
> > rm -rf directory_name
> >
> > The 'f' option, in particular, will force all files to be removed
> > at your current permissions level. If you do not have sufficient
> > permissions, you will be told this explicitly for each affected file.
> >
> It's been my experience that only root can use -r.

any user can use -r as long as they have sufficient rights to delete
the files(/folders)

I frequently use rm -rf as a normal user on my systems (I have debian,
suse, fedora and solaris systems and it works on all)

maybe you have files in the directories you have been trying to remove
created by root?

Hope that helps
Quintin