[plug] Recommended Distro for lo spec computer? [UNCLASSIFIED]

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:01:31 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 14:19, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:17:10 +0800, Clark Julian
> <Julian.Clark at cdpp.gov.au> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I've a colleague with a relatively lo-spec computer. A Pentium I believe
> > (not sure of the speed & ram etc, probably a P-166)
> > She's having issues with her current Windows installation.
>
> Ubuntu. I've got an old Pentium 233 laptop and it just worked out of the box.

I'd like to try that option myself, but meantime another option to
consider is a distro installer written specifically to put newer kernels
on older hardware.  Haven't tried it myself but the one I talk of is
www.rule-project.org

(quote)
Hardware is only as old as the software it runs. RULE wants to make
modern Free Software usable even on 5 or more years old machines, on
which current Linux distributions won't install or run too slowly.
[and]
Main target users
* GNU/Linux newbies who cannot afford modern computers, but still need,
to get started more easily, an up to date, well documented distribution.
* System administrators and power users who have no interest in eye
candy, and want to run updated software on whatever hardware is
available, to minimize costs, or just because it is a real cool hack and
feels like the right thing to do.
[and]
Status
As of 2004/06/05 our installers work with Red Hat 8 and 9. Work for
Fedora Core 2 (not 1) is ongoing.
(endquote)

The developers seem to have kind of got caught out in the rapid change
from RH9 to Fedora and haven't kept up with the rapid Fedora release
cycle.  But as they say, they hope their solution becomes
distro-independent.

If you give it a try let the list (and me) know your experiences

Regards, Gavin