[plug] Alert Windows

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Feb 8 20:08:45 WST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:14:21PM +1100, Onno Benschop wrote:
> >>How can I stop alerts from coming up above all windows and stealing the
> >>focus, when I was doing something else, like hitting return to create a
> >>paragraph break, but instead resulting in a closed alert with who knows
> >>what kind of text...
>    Gnome v 2.8
>    Sawfish v 1.3

On my debian desktop: Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Windows,
then select the Focus tab, turn off "Focus on application windows when
they first appear".  This seems to apply to all windows, not just
dialogs that have a parent.  I remember that a few years ago sawfish
(perhaps it was still called sawmill then) used to let you distinguish
between top level windows and dialog boxes, but it doesn't seem to do
that any more.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says: