[plug] [OT] Dedicated local loop (naked ADSL)

Rowan Sutherland perseng at arach.net.au
Thu Feb 10 18:38:02 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:14, Martin wrote:
> $quoted_author = "Daniel Pearson" ;
> >
> > I believe this is achieved through a service called ULL (which in
> > turn will team up with VoIP to make for some awesome phone/net
> > deals), which ISPs are currently unable to access, or its not set up

> > at exchanges.
>
> unbundled local loop (ULL) is available to anyone who has their own
> equipment in exchanges (telstra, request(?powertel), comindico, iinet,

> others ??)
>
> telstra still charges a fee but it's not as high as reselling their
> adsl.

After spending an hour on the phone to Telstra today, I determined that
they were *not* prepared to do this, except maybe from large wholesale
customers.

Upset by this denial, I then followed on to contact Amcom, in regards to
getting a dark fibre connection from one point to another. They said
they could hook up my place (Como), to a house in Ascot, to an ISP in
malaga for around the tune of $50,000 per year, which is the same cost
as their managed fibre services anyway.

Furthermore, they will only allow a dark fibre connection if the CEO
will sign it off. The overall reluctance of Australian
Telecommunications companies to provide naked services concerns me. It
was even mentioned that they like to have *control* of what is being
transmitted.

It is also interesting to note that the government in Australia is
concerned about private wireless networks being set up around the place
and not being controlled. I wonder if they will ever try to control the
airwaves on wireless bands soon.

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au