[plug] [OT] Dedicated local loop (naked ADSL)

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Feb 10 21:25:43 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:16, Martin wrote:
> $quoted_author = "Chris Caston" ;
> >
> > Of course iiNet wants you to sign up for iiPhone and pay the line rental
> > to them instead. At least with a POTS line they can control under
> > contract which provider you are with. Ie if you want to opened up
> > ADSL/ADSL2 speeds you must be with them for local and long distance on
> > the POTS line. If however you are making all your calls over your
> > internet connection it would be very difficult for them to police which
> > VOIP provider you went with.
>
> if they are paying for the ULL then they _can_ do ADSL only.
>
> this may be a different from what they _are_ doing. :)

I've been thinking about changing my mobile provider recently and I
checked out the Vodafone website. Its quite interested that they
advocate dropping your land line and making all your calls with your
mobile. Maybe this could work for people that only use the net at work
but for most people that need internet access from home (either dialup
or adsl) this wouldn't be an option.

So as far as I can see the companies most interested in pushing naked
ADSL would be mobile carriers or ISPs. Now a mobile carrier thats also
broadband ISP but not at POTS reliant telco would be interesting indeed.