[plug] Ncurses-devel for Mandrake 10

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Feb 12 08:17:48 WST 2005

Aha! These are fun.

Basically a symbolic link is a bit like the shortcuts in windows, but they
are actually useful.

Basically if you have a file or a directory in /home/rara/thisfile.txt
you can type in ln /home/rara/thisfile.txt /var/www/thisfile.txt -s and it
will appear for all practical purposes as if the file is simultaneously in
both directories but in reality its still only in /home/rara . if you edit
it in /var/www its also edited in /home/rara, because its the same file,
just living in 2 or more places.

You can do this with directories too. I use this sometimes if I run out of
space for a directory in one drive, I'll move it to another drive then
'symlink' it to where its supposed to be, and it'll appear to most things
as if its in the old place when infact its on the new drive.

Caveat: Too many symlinks make for a messy system, so use them sparingly.

neato indeed.