[plug] Ncurses-devel for Mandrake 10

Michael quadfour at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 13 12:50:48 WST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Innis Cunningham wrote:

> Hello Michael
>
> Michael Collard writes
>>
>> On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 19:34 +0800, Innis Cunningham wrote:
>> > Thanks guys
>> >
>> >   Michael writes

>> > No the kernel source code 2.4.25 is looking for ncurses-devel and the
>> > only packages available for mandrake are the libncurses-devel5 packages.
>> > As said maybe it is bad packaging.But what is the work around.As I do all
>> > my installs from the KDE GUI I may need some help if I have to install
>> these
>> > packages from the command line.Would I be right in assuming that to do
>> > this I would CD into the directory were the rpm is and issue the command
>> > Install package xyz or is it a bit more complex than this
>>
>> While even new kernel packages say they require ncurses-devel, they're
>> really after libncurses5-devel. With urpmi, seems it can use either to
>> install the correct package. To install the kernel source, all you
>> should have to do is type 'urpmi kernel-source' (as root). Urpmi will
>> then prompt you saying there are extra packages needed, and it will
>> install them as necessary.
>
> Ok have tried that but it seems to be looking for the install CD's.As
> I don't have such because my copy of mandrake was insalled at the
> installfest is there a way of getting it to look on the web.

Sure, this should be easy to do. I'd assume you're using 10 if it was
installed at the installfest. All you need to do is to add some sources
for online content. There are a couple of ways you can do this, but the
best would be to download and install the following package manually.

Download this:

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/urpmi.setup-0.4.4-4mdk.noarch.rpm

Then do a 'rpm -i urpmi.setup-0.4.4-4mdk.noarch.rpm' as root.

Now you can run urpmi.setup as root which gives you a nice little
interface. Select 'Add manually urpmi media' and tab across to 'Do' and
hit enter. Now for a name, call it main or something. Don't check that
update thingy. For the path, paste the following:

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/

For the relative path thing below, put in './synthesis.hdlist.cz'. Then
tab across to OK and hit enter. It will now download and update the media.
Now you can run urpmi kernel-source.

Cheers
Michael Collard