[plug] Getting Desperate

Innis Cunningham innisc at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 13:16:40 WST 2005

Hi All
After nearly two weeks of trying to do the Windows
equivalent of installing directX I am stumped.
The story so far.
Download the Nvidia drivers and tried to install.They
say they need the kernal source.
So download kernel source 2.4.25 and tried to install.
It says it needs ncurses-devel.
No such package for mandrake.So download libncurses-devel5.
It says it needs libncurses5.
So download libncurses5 and try to install.
It says it needs glibc-2.3.4.
No such package for mandrake.The closest package is
glibc-2.3.3 so download that and install it.But it does not say
if it gets installed or not I suspect because it is already installed.
I notice that these packages that  are not available for mandrake
are available for fedora core.Is it possible the mandrake packages
have not edited to point to the mandrake packages.

When mandrake was installed first at the installfest I think it used
the 2.6 kernel but due to the fact that it kept crashing it was changed
back to the 2.4 kernel which has been stable.
What are my options
1 try using the 2.6 kernal and going through the above process.
2 scrap this whole install and start again making sure all the things
that are required for 3D graphics are loaded.
3 ditch mandrake and try other distro's that might be more 3D friendly.

Cheers
Innis