[plug] net installer

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Feb 13 22:22:54 WST 2005

Greg wrote:

> Ive been trying to use a net installer cd that allows Sarge installs .
> Unfortunatley it goes pear shaped when it  tries to detect the hdd
> It works fine for knoppix or a woody installer. Has  anyone else
> experienced this? Can someone point me to a  image that  works

Yup.  The usual issue here is that your netboot image is too old, so
the version of the kernel on the CD doesn't match the version of the
IDE drivers downloaded from the net.  I think I've seen this happen if
you try to install sid, too, which will have a newer kernel and thus
not have the older drivers needed for the Sarge installer.  Simplest
way is to fetch a new image from

    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer

Of course, if it's a recent image then I'm just confused and you can
ignore me :-)

Cameron.