[plug] Power surges and Modems

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 20:19:41 WST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:12:55 +0800, Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 08:31, Joong Cho wrote:
> > Does anyone use the Netcomm NB1300 Plus ADSL modem and did anyone
> > else have issues with this modem after the power surge over the
> > weekend? I did, and that's why I'm getting a replacement modem. I
> > tried unplugging the modem for ten seconds and even pressing the
> > power button at the back, but nothing happened. Even restarting the
> > computer didn't work.
It is a long shot, but I recently had 2 days of grief with a D-Link AP
that had new firmware installed prior to my purchase.  I tried
resetting it countless times and all I knew was that it was not on its
default IP and it would not reset as it said it should in the manual.
Some googling finally pointed out that a 'press' of the reset button
is a soft reset while holding the reset button for 10+ seconds will
fully reset it. (Nobody in the house shared my joy when I ran into the
lounge with a laptop in my hand shouting "Yes, yes, I can see the
access point!")

> None of five Billions, two '504s or one Netcomm have had any trouble
> with power blips.
Our Billion was fine, and I did chuckle when my PC flickered slightly
and the one belonging to my beloved restarted on 2 occasions.  Both
come from the same power circuit and have the same m/board, though
different peripherals.

regards,
 Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com