[plug] DHCP

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 20 09:39:28 WST 2005

Greg <gmacham at bigpond.com> writes:

>Im  interested in setting up a dhcp range on a box. the man pages seems
>to explain that fair enough . What Im unsure about is how to limit the
>DHCP leases to the one interface? Is this done using iptables by
>limiting DHCP traffic on other interfaces or is there a better way

DHCP will only listen on the interface of the address range on which
you specify that it provide addresses. To "rule out" other interface
ranges, include "empty" clauses corresponding to the other
interfaces.

e.g.

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

DHCP will usually fail to start if you have more than one subnet
active on a physical interface:

	e.g eth0 192.168.0.42 and eth0:1 10.0.0.42

In such cases, you must start DHCP before aliasing the interface.
DHCP will however service DHCP addresses from 10.0.0.0 :-(