[plug] Dual boot Debian 64 / XP pro on Athlon64

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Feb 20 12:12:49 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 11:50, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> writes:
> >On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 00:35, Chris Caston wrote:
>
> >> A customer has requested that I quote her on a Athlon 64 machine dual
> >> booting between XP professional and Linux.
>
> >> I haven't dual booted (pure Debian all the way) in years so am wondering
> >> if it is easy to setup these days with the sarge installer and grub.
> >> Anyone tried it recently? What should I look out for?
>
> >> Is there any issues dual booting between Debian for Athlon 64 arch and
> >> the 32bit Windows XP pro?
>
> >OK I think I will have to use the sid iso for Athlon 64.
>
> >I'm considering using a MSI:
> >SKT754/VK8M800/VGA/AGP/DDR400/L/FW/S/R
>
> What's the actual MSI model number? A number of different chipsets
> other than the VK8M800 are typically on a board. Google won't cough
> anything definitive with "VK8M800 MSI SKT754"
>
> The model number of the mainboard display during POST/BIOS

Well I haven't actually bought one yet but its probably either:
  K8MM-ILSR -or-
  K8M Neo-V

(http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php?kind=1&CHIP=51&NAME=Socket)

I just cut and pasted the line you googled on from the wholesalers price
list. It would mean V(Via)K8M800 SKT(Socket)754. As far as the SATA
support goes I guess I'm chasing VIA® VT8237 Chipset support.