[plug] Possible problem with memory leaks

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Feb 21 13:09:25 WST 2005

I have an ongoing problem with the memory usage with the Linux
installation that I am using.

I am running Debian Sarge, and I run various web browsers, including
Mozilla 1.7.5, Konqueror 3.3.2, and Galeon. When I run the first two,
and, especially when I run multiple browser windows of Mozilla, the
memory usage keeps increasing, but, when the application is closed, and,
when I close all applications that are visible, so that no tasks are
shown in the task bar, the memory is not released, so that, with 768MB
of RAM, I have 90-100% memory usage, with the system idling - no tasks
in the task bar.

If I log out, and log in again, after a few minutes, or, after
"overnight", the memory usage appears to remain.

The memory usage is indicated by the image thing that sits in the task
bar one of three, being "Processor", "Memory", and "Load Average".

When booted, or rebooted, the "Memory" thing shows 29% memory usage,
but, after I have closed applications, it does not drop below 89% memory
usage.

In running top, after closing the visible tasks, Mozilla does not show
as running, and the tasks that are listed, appear to total no more than
a couple of hundred MB, certainly nowhere near the several hundred MB
that are shown as being used.

I am in a situation when the system has to be rebooted after every few
hours of use, as something apparently hidden, is apparently using up all
of the memory, and not releasing it.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on, and how to fix it?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale