[plug] Newbys guide

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 13:57:36 WST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:04:59 +0800, J Michael Gilks
<mike.gilks at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> > You see Tim, this paragraph actually highlights to problems many/most of
> > us newbies have.  I'm not, never have been nor ever will be a
> > programmer, either hobby or professional level.  Good grief, I can only
> > spell "C" 2 out of 3 times!!  The entire preceding paragraph might as
> > well be greek to most of us - and I don't speak greek either.  It seems
> > that if I'm not able to understand what you've said there then I can't
> > even reach to launching pad for Linux.  Windows users (and I've never
> > been one of those either) want to able to download an application,
> > install it and play with it.  It's really that simple.  Expand that
> > simplicity into the rest of what Windows useres are used to and you'll
> > be approaching the mark.  It's that simple for Windoze users, Mac users,
> > OS/2 users, eCS users, BeOS users et al.
> >
> > his is NOT a flame, just an attempt to explain the reality of the
> > problem.  I, for instance, want to move over from OS/2 (coz the
> > writing's on the wall for OS/2) with a minimum of fuss, without having
> > to understand "compile", "make file", "tarball" etc.
> >
> This should not be a problem for a mainstream user who just wants to do what
> they were doing on another platform, eg Microsoft, OS/2 etc.
> snip<

 Downloading stuff seems to be a little bit of a problem as the
instructions often anticipate reasonable skills, IMHO.
 That brings me to this question: Is there some nice eye-candy(GUI)
tool which would take care of this just like XCD Roast or k3b will
simplify burning CDs or DVDs?
                      MP