WRT54G and SSCPRe: WRT54G(S) (was Re: [plug] Wireless Linux + A good linux book!)

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed Feb 23 13:45:42 WST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, quoth Chris Caston:

> I'm looking at using the WRT54g as part in plan of having my VOIP
> provider arrange for my number to make two different 7905 phones ring
> when the one number is called.
>
> My provider has told me that I need a Cisco router that supports SSCP.
> It does appear there is a SCCP module for Asterisk:

You would get better results if you  get a SIP license for the Cisco
phone rather than using chan_sccp or chan_skinny

Either that, or don't use a Cisco phone :)
SIP is the emerging standard for VOIP, why use a proprietary protocol?

> Would I likely be able to get it working with this WRT54g instead of a
> Cisco router?

Probably, but you would need to cross-compile that chan_sccp - which could
be a simple job or a painful[0] one - or use the chan_skinny that is
bundled with Asterisk, but doesn't work well at all from what I've read.

SIP would be easier.

Get yourself a nice SNOM phone, or a Sipura 2000 ATA.

 - Matt

[0] Cross compiling asterisk itself was about as painful as it gets
    at least for someone like me[1] :)
[1] I learned an aweful lot about Makefiles in the process