[plug] USB modem / cdc-acm problem in kernel 2.6.8?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri Feb 25 21:47:22 WST 2005

Hi all

Anyone else using (or tried to use) the cdc-acm.o module under kernel 2.6.8
(debian sarge)? It was working perfectly controlling my Telstra NT1+II ISDN
modem in 2.4.22 (which uses acm, not cdc-acm), but after upgrading the kernel
it no longer works. Hotplug is working and my modem is detected, but the
cdc-acm module fails to create the /dev/ttyACM0 device as it used to.

I have googled this, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of solutions
out there - just a few me-too messages.

Also, and this one has caught me by suprise, /proc/bus/usb no longer exists -
even back on 2.4.22 (debian sarge) that I am using now. Maybe it disappeared
in one of the sarge updates? Where do I look for what used to be
in /proc/bus/usb?

Any hints or tips on how to work out what is going on?

Steve

--
Ph: +61 8 97560662, IP-Phone: FWD# 454566, e164.org# 61897560662

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill