[plug] Soon fixed (or "hacked" :) and I am in

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 25 22:34:04 WST 2005

Just received back a win2k system I installed for a friend some months
back.  The admin password we thought we used did not work, but some time
later (after caffeine) re-entering it worked.  Decided to bring the
machine home and update it over adsl and my home network instead of the
in-situ modem.

Of course it would not take the admin password I now know worked.

A few minutes (well, seconds anyway) googling got me a linux based win
NT/2K/XP password hacking disk which showed the hash for the admin
password and what I thought it was were totally different.

Soon fixed (or "hacked" :) and I am in.

Question: I have had this happen on other win2k systems but have never
been as sure as this time that I actually got administrator with a wrong
password as I am in this case.

Am I imagining things???

BillK

Home!