[plug] This is too good to pass up.

Evert van Dijk evert at silver-sword.net
Sun Feb 27 01:05:48 WST 2005

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

>>You know.. With the detailed description in that window as to why
>>firefox is "spyware" I'd go as far as to say that it was slander..
>>complete bastards
>>

>I'd say it was merely a modest proposal for removal, the intentions of
>which were swiftly overlooked by a surprising number of readers, who, I
>suppose, all sat tired in class as various literary techniques were
>covered.

I'd call a "very high risk threat" level more than a modest proposal for
removal
nevertheless Firefox comes with its own automatic security update option.

If you want to labour the possible threats that Firefox pose it would
have to be the option to install plug-ins easily
but then again Internet Explorer has ActiveX allowing remote sites to
install applets that directly control your hardware, Who has not seen
the website where Coke gives you a free cupholder? This is more invasive
than anything that Firefox allows.

Sorry I got on my High Horse there, please do not take my views as a
personal attack, it is not intented that way

Moreover Firefox is NOT spyware, it is a browser written in Open Source,
meaning that it is possible to audit its processes, something that
Microsoft does NOT allow to happen its own software.

As far as RealVNC is concerned it is also not spyware, but it has the
potential as a threat, so use it with care. And KaZaa well, the less
said about that the better, it needs to be removed.